Author Topic: TB-003 • How To Change Electric Guitar Strings  (Read 21300 times)

Offline Kansaimon

• Positive Vibrations: 0
Re: TB-003 • How To Change Electric Guitar Strings
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 12:20:43 am »
Another question: should I change 1 string while keeping the other 5 on tension, then move on to the next one, or remove all strings and then fit the new ones one at a time? Does it even make a difference?

Thanks for your help!

With a floating tremolo bridge, i tend to find it easier to change one string at a time.
If you decide to take off all six at once, one thing I would advise is: whenyou put on each new string, start with the lower heavier ones and keep the tuning slack, about two full tones down from your final target, until you have all six strings on, then slowly bring the tuning of all six up a semitone or so at time.
What you don't want to do with a floating bridge is, put on the high E then tune it all the way up to the E note with no other strings on yet. The weakest string will be taking the whole load of the tremolo springs in that case.
and like i said, you want to try to tune all six strings evenly. There's no point getting your high E exactly right, and stretching thr string etc. when your low E is still down at C or something. Once you tune your low E, you'll find the tension on the other strings will have changed and you'll need to retune them.

Offline Sweed77

• School Prom Hero
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 03:47:20 pm »
Changed the strings on my Epi Les Paul using Justin's instructions.  First time I have ever done this so I was  very nervous about trying as I didn't want to end up without an instrument to play in case I fouled it up.  Took my sweet time and did the strings one at a time figuring if I screwed up at least I wouldn't have issues with the neck due to the other 5 strings keeping proper tension until I could get help fixing things (at least I assumed they would).  Thought it was kind of funny the factory strings were not locked to the peg but instead just a straight wind.  It was easy though making the lock just had to be careful to keep some tension on the string throughout the winding process.

Took about an hour to remove, replace, tune, stretch and tune three times.  Not bad and easier than I thought it would be thanks to Justin's detailed instructions. The strings are staying in tune nicely. 

Anyway wanted to post in case there were any other newbies looking at doing their own string change, and like me, read this thread trying to decide if they wanted to try doing it themselves rather than going to the local Guitar Center etc.  I encourage any newbies to give it a go just take your time and keep in mind it would have been a nightmare without a string-winder.

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 32
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 06:01:53 pm »
Thought it was kind of funny the factory strings were not locked to the peg but instead just a straight wind.  It was easy though making the lock just had to be careful to keep some tension on the string throughout the winding process.

Factory winds by machine. Much easier to do straight winds.

You don't _need_ to 'lock' your strings as long as you have two or three winds under them. I always do since I first learned the technique with rope, where it is very necessary. I'd do it anyway, helps keep the strings in tune once they settle.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)